Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Klompen"

I have another shoe story for you.... I found these little hand carved dutch shoes known as "klompen" in a little antique store in a verrrry small town in Alabama. I was just going to purchase one, but the crusty, old proprietor insisted rather brusquely, I might add, that I must have two. I replied, "I only need one." "Every shoe needs its mate", he insisted as he pointed out another shoe, saying that it matched. I did not think so, but I will let you be the judge. I relented and agreed to get both, afterall who can argue with someone's grandpa. After dickering back and forth, I paid a whopping three dollars for the pair, and as I was feeling rather impudent did so all in change.

I paired them with a vintage Christmas poscard that LuLu, of Lulu Redstar Antiques so graciously gave me when I visited her booth at Scotts in November. They all have an honored place on our fireplace mantel.


Just a couple more Christmas pictures...





Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year!

3 comments:

Lynne Forsythe said...

I agree...the shoes don't match...but they do so wonderfully with the postcard!!!

Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!
xoxox

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hi There!
I just found you through The French Cupboard and I have to tell you how much I've enjoyed my visit here!!! Your blog is so pretty and full of beautiful eye candy.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year and I'm looking forward to many more visits here~
everything vintage

Charlene said...

Love the Klompen!!! And they are perfect with that post card! You did a great vignette. And the guy was right... you needed both if the price was only $3!

Thank you for your hugs, prayers & support for Reba & I. I am waiting with baited breath for bloodwork results on Monday. Hugs! Charlene